Served during the recording of Episode 1: Horribly Blond(e)
- 1½ cups plain flour
- 1/3 cup icing sugar
- 125 g cold butter, chopped
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup pecans
- ¾ cup maple syrup (not maple-flavoured syrup — the real stuff, usually from Canadia)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 40 g butter, melted
- Lightly grease a 23 cm loose bottomed flan pan. Or cake tin. Or square tin.
- Sift flour and icing sugar into a large bowl. Rub in butter using fingertips unti the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add eggs yolk and mix until the dough comes togther.
- Knead dough on a lightly floured, cool surface until smooth. Wrap in cling film and chill for 30 minutes.
- Roll out pastry to desired size between two sheets of baking paper. Remove paper and ease pastry into pan/tin. Trim edges and chill in pan for 20 minutes. Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Spread the pecans out in another oven tray, and roast for 5-10 minutes. Immediately transfer pecans to a mixing bowl.
- Place pan/tin on oven tray, and blind-bake pastry for 10 minutes (raw rice on top of baking paper will weigh the pastry down just fine). Remove paper and filling, and back for an extra 5 minutes. Remove from oven, and reduce oven temperature to 160°C.
- Combine maple syrup, eggs, flour and butter for filling in bowl with pecans. Pour mixture into pastry.
- Bake for 25–30 minutes until set. Set aside to cool. Slice and serve with dollops of double cream.